So… the Expo, Convention, Trade Show, or Conference is over huh…so now what the heck do you do? First, get some sleep. Monday needs to be productive not nap time. There is so much effort put into any Business Conference, Industry Convention, Trade Show or Expo, but sometimes we don’t make the most of them. Why is that? Lack of strategy? Overall attitude going into the event? Here are some things that will help you come back feeling it was worth the trip.
WHAT DID YOU LEARN?
Throughout your trip, keep track of certain ideas, tips, and any general knowledge you feel may be beneficial to your company or more specifically, your team or department. If you see certain handouts or brochures, don’t just grab one, grab a few!
- CREATE A LIST OF THINGS YOU TOOK FROM THE CONFERENCE – Keynote Speakers, Workshops, New Contacts and Contact Info, etc.
- CREATE A LIST OF THINGS TO SHARE WITH THE OFFICE – General Knowledge or Insight, What are we doing wrong/right, How can we improve, Let’s try this, etc.
- NEXT YEAR – Normally the convention or expo will be held again next year. What can you do to improve the trip?
- TAKE THE SURVEY – More times than not, the committee of the conference sends out a post-conference survey. Don’t just delete it. These can be very beneficial. You want next year to be better, right?
GIVE THEM SOME SPACE
People tend to get impatient when they get back from a business conference successfully compiling a nice prospect list in the process. I get it. But DO NOT reach out to them the day you get back, even the day after you get back. Sometime that next week is appropriate, not too soon, but not when the water has gone cold. Just keep in mind they have quite a bit on their plate when they get back as well, let them catch up first. But in the meantime…
- GET YOUR INBOX BACK TO – Inbox (0)
– Sometimes seeing that Inbox number is like waiting to see how you did on your Chemistry test as the teacher makes her way around class passing them out. I know you can keep up with your email with your phone, but take some time to read, organize, and act.
- SAY THANKS
– Unless you are one of the top dogs at your place of employment, I’m guessing you probably didn’t pay for all of this (some might have). With that said, take some time and reach out to those that approved you going. This can go a long way. Whether a friendly email, a quick stop into their office or just a “Thank You” in the elevator, it’ll be worth it.
- CATCH UP
– Business Cards, Receipts, Expenses, etc. The list goes on of all the things you feel like you need to do when you get back. Take some time while everyone else unwinds as well and get yourself organized. Maybe you were in the middle of something before you left – finish up.
FULFILL YOUR DUTIES
Remember that guy who was like your best friend for an hour that you promised some ridiculous pricing point for? You guessed it. Time to act on those little promises and incentive grenades you tossed this past weekend. Make a note/reminder on your phone right when the words come out of your mouth. Well, not right when they do, but pretty close. One more drink at the Happy Hour Meet-N-Greet you may not remember his name. Use funny little ways to remember people. If they are wearing a catchy bow-tie, write on the back of their business card “bow-tie.” One thing that goes a long way across any industry, no matter who you are working with, is keeping your word. Whether a simple email or an invite to an upcoming event, fulfilling your word earns trust and shows character.
For over 16 years, Kinetix Solutions has been a leading provider of IT Managed Services, Cloud Services, Custom Development, Professional Services, and Business Intelligence. Local support teams paired with a fully staffed 24/7 Technology Support Center provide customers a seamless and cost-effective IT solution. Our approach allows for businesses to focus on their core service or product offerings knowing that their technology is always in operation and readily accessible. In addition to these core offerings, Kinetix Solutions also provides social media management along with access to enterprise Voice Over IP (VoIP) and Internet Solutions through our industry leading partnerships. To get more information or schedule a free assessment to learn how we can improve your business today, call us at 855-4-TEK-NOW (855.483.5669).